Thursday, January 5, 2012

One last week...

I received some wonderful news last week, I was offered a new job by a company with an outstanding reputation as a great place to work.  I'm thrilled to be starting my new adventure on Monday, so I'm trying to make the most of my last few days of my 5 month vacation. 
Since it is the start of the new year, and everyone is on a health kick, I picked a few recipes from Cooking Light to try out.  This one was great, and a very quick dinner to put together because it called for pre-cooked chicken.  I think the next time I make it I'll add some mushrooms, asparagus, or maybe a can of diced tomatoes.  Don't get me wrong, it is delicious just the way the recipe goes, but it would be easy to add extra veggies and make it even more filling and nutritious.

The only major change I made was using 10 oz. of fresh spinach instead of the frozen spinach the recipe called for.  I've never been a huge fan of frozen spinach, but if you like it, by all means.  Otherwise, just add the fresh spinach and let it cook down. 


Spicy Chicken Pasta

1 (9-ounce) package angel hair pasta
Cooking spray
1 cup vertically sliced onion
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 (6-ounce) package chicken breast cuts (pre-cooked)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
While pasta cooks, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add basil, garlic, and crushed red pepper; sauté 1 minute. Combine half-and-half, sour cream, and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid and half-and-half mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in salt, black pepper, chicken, and spinach; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta, and cook 1 for minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment